Saturday, March 1, 2014

Ginger Carrot Banana Walnut Whole Wheat Muffins

You are GOING to eat sweet treats sometimes.  And, if you are me, you are going to bake.  Because you love to.   So, might as well bake these!  
These tasty temptations are whole wheat, so they contain complex carbs instead of simple refined carbs (meaning the carbs are absorbed more slowly, minimizing blood sugar spikes which contribute to insulin resistance).  I DO currently use white sugar but will soon be experimenting with NATURAL sugar substitutes.  You can use Splenda if you believe in it.   Cancer scares me, so I no longer use it.
These are also a great way to trick your kids into eating fruits AND vegetables AND whole grains all in one evilly good concoction.   Buahaha, buahaha.
I have used 3 ripe bananas to replace most of the oil and sugar in the original recipe.  You could go even further and substitute some egg substitute for one or two of the whole eggs.

Carrot Ginger Banana Nut Muffins
Ingredients:
3 carrots, grated
1 c of nuts, chopped
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp of salt
2 cups of whole wheat flour
3 eggs
1/2 cups of sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c vegetable oil
lemon zest
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
Any combo of spices you enjoy.  I add some pumpkin pie spice and allspice.
3 ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350.
Crack three eggs, add vanilla, lemon zest, grated fresh ginger and vegetable oil. Whisk, and set aside.
For the dry ingredients: Add flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, anything else you like and ground ginger. Mix.
Mash 3 ripe bananas and add them to the wet mix.
Grate 3 carrots and mix the dry, wet, and carrot mixture in one large bowl.
Chop about a cup of pecans (or almonds, or walnuts). Add to muffin batter.
Spray non stick cooking spray onto your muffin tin or use muffin tin liners (I prefer using liners) and bake those little monkeys!
Stick a toothpick into the middle of the muffins about 25 minutes into baking them. If the toothpick comes out clean, they are donesville. If not, leave em in for five more minutes.
YES - I mainly made these to show off my new oddly alien-erotic Kitchenaid stand mixer.  I am in absolute lovelust with this powerful piece of kitchen equipment.  Like a thrumming mechanical dolphin, I cannot stop stroking its sleek head...

I will stop now, because I am making you vaguely uncomfortable.  Talking about it I mean.  The stroking I cannot stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment