Thursday, April 10, 2014

A day in the Life

So, maybe some of you are wondering what I might eat in a typical day.  I have posted lots of tips and recipes, but no real meal plans.

I took some pictures of my food over the last few days to show you what a typical day might look like.  Remember, in life there are probably just as many atypical days as typical ones!  But this gives you an idea of how and what I eat.

Breakfast:  

My breakfast is pretty well set.   I usually take one real egg and scramble it with egg substitute salt and pepper.  It makes enough for about 3 servings, so I use a Tupperware for the rest in the fridge.  I then eat it on a warmed whole wheat low carb tortilla PILED with fresh deli salsa.  Alternately if I am in a rush I may have a whole wheat double fiber English muffin with cream cheese and chia seeds.  On a weekend I may use my egg poacher to poach egg substitute, add a THIN slice of deli cheese and some turkey bacon or turkey sausage on a whole wheat double fiber english muffin that has been toasted for a breakfast sandwich.  If I am ever still hungry I add a piece of fruit or a low calor Greek yogurt.

I always have a coffee in some form.  I recently switched to using Agave in the Raw sweetener in it.


Lunch:

Lunch is pretty standardized as well, unless we have healthy dinner left overs.  I either make a sandwich wrap with lunch meat and veggies on a whole wheat low carb tortilla or a tuna salad wrap or a salad.  I make my tuna salad with a smaller amount of real mayo, as I cant stand the light version.  I add onion, celery, pepperoncinnis, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, and whatever else I have....bell peppers, jalapeno...whatever sounds good.   I lay down a piece of romaine lettuce and put some of the mix on top and add cherry tomatoes or carrot shreds etc.  If I am having salad I incorporate a protein like hard boiled egg or lunch meat or cottage cheese or walnuts and use a vinegar based dressing.


Dinner:

For dinner I usually aim for a lean protein like chicken or fish paired with a TON of veggies and sometimes a grain like quinoa.  I like to have what I think of as one freebie food.  That is a food with little to no calories like steamed or sauteed asparagas, spinach, zucchini or broccoli that I can eat in unlimited quantities.  This way I KNOW ahead of time that I WILL be able to get full, so it keeps me from over eating the other elements.   I can keep a reasonable portion size for my meat and grains, knowing that I will not have tp leave the table still hungry.   If I am having an extra lean protein like boneless skinless chicken breasts it gives me more leway to have a grain or starch or add some cheese to the veggies etc.  If I am having a more calorie dense main dish like beef or pork, I keep the side dishes lighter like two kinds of steamed veggies. I just TRY to keep it balanced.  I often cut up some fruit to accompany it for the kids and eat a small portion myself.



Snacks:

I almost always have a snack or two during the day and one is usually fruit or yogurt.  The other one is usually in the evening when I want a "desert".  I may have a "healthy" cereal like Kashi or a toasted whole wheat english muffinwith peanutbutter and honey or banana.  I may have a Jello 100 calorie tapioca.  Generally it includes some type of whole grain and proteine if I can manage it because that is what I happen to crave.  

No comments:

Post a Comment