Sunday, February 23, 2014

SQUASH Bad Eating Habbits!

Acorn Squash - Live it!

So, I have recently discovered acorn squash.  It is ...amazingly tasty, very filling and easy to prepare.

This squash is one of the few fruits/vegetables that you can buy fresh and keep around until you are ready - I don't know the exact counter top life span, but I know that I have stuck them back with the garlic and forgotten about them for a couple of weeks, then prepared them and they were still perfect.  DON'T JUDGE ME!

To prepare them I generally just chop one in half from stem to stern and scoop out the seeds, pumpkin style.  I then place them cut side up on a cookie sheet and sprinkle them with whatever flavoring I want depending on what I am using them for.  To eat plain I will season them with just salt and pepper OR salt pepper and poultry seasoning or sage.  If I am using them to replace noodles (more on this in a moment), I will sprinkle them with garlic salt, pepper and italian seasoning or basil/oregano.  I then turn them cut side down, pierce the skins several times with a fork and pop them into a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or so until they are steaming.  When you take them out of the oven, allow them to cool for a few minutes and the skin peels RIGHT off!  They can then be mashed like mashed potatoes or fork cut and eaten!

I often use them for myself in place of high-carb and low-nutrient pasta.  I prepare them as stated above with italian seasoning garlic salt and pepper, and then I lightly mash them and top them with spaghetti sauce just as you would pasta.  DELICIOUS!

These squash taste buttery and rich!  They have a mild pumpkin-y flavor that lends itself well to both savory and sweet dishes.


You can also roast them as described but without seasoning, then mash them with a little Brummel and Brown or your favorite butter/margarine or substitute and a sprinkling of brown sugar for a sweet treat!




SPAGHETTI SQUASH!



Also, delicious but I don't like it AS much as acorn squash for regular pasta.  I like to cook it and add just a touch of Brummel and Brown or butter/margarine and plenty of fresh garlic for a pasta-like side dish.

You cook it very similarly to the acorn squash...cut it in half and roast it cut side down with any seasonings you wish.  You then use a fork to remove the strands.




No comments:

Post a Comment